WISE Sudbury Officers
WISE Sudbury is actively recruiting officers. WISE Sudbury officers are responsible for leading individual components of the group’s business, such as fundraising, marketing or social event planning. WISE Sudbury liaisons provide an important link between WISE Sudbury and other organizations. These roles offer volunteers the opportunity to make important contributions not only to WISE Sudbury, but also to the community in general. Considering supporting the WISE Sudbury Chapter in the following capacities:
- Fundraising Officer
- Public Relations Officer
- Marketing Officer
- Social Officer
- Professional Development Officer
- Liaison Officers
WISE Science and Engineering Olympics
The WISE Science and Engineering Olympics are held every spring for girls in Grades 4-7. This is a free full day event for the girls to learn about science and engineering in a
fun and interactive way. There are 4 sessions that change every year, for example, last year, the girls extracted DNA from bananas, made lip gloss, went through a safety
obstacle course and assessed the environment around tailings dams. This day is lots of fun, and requires lots of volunteers. Considering volunteering for
the following committee positions, as well as session leaders, session facilitators, etc.
- Overall Facilitator: This person is responsible for coordinating with the other committee members, the event site, the lunch provider, insurance, etc.
- Registration Coordinator: This person is responsible for accepting the registrations and updating the attendance spreadsheet.
- Communication Coordinator: This person is responsible for advertising the event with the school boards and the media.
- Volunteer Coordinator: This person is responsible for recruiting volunteers to run the events, assist at the event, etc.
- Supplies Coordinator: This person is responsible for acquiring and organizing the fabrics for the teams, organizing and supplementing the material for the posters.
- Gift bags Coordinator: This person is responsible for contacting the donors, getting prizes for the first, second and third teams, and organizing/assembling the goodie bags for everyone.
- Session Leader: This person is responsible for organizing one of the section activities, such as Health Science or Engineering.
- Volunteer: This person assists with the day’s activities as required. No planning activities are required to help out!
Engineering Info Night
WISE Sudbury and PEO Sudbury co-host an Engineering Information Night each fall for for high school students in Grades 11 and 12 and their parents to learn about engineering and to ask questions of engineering students, recent graduates, engineering interns and professional engineers. WISE representatives and a recent graduate give the presentation to approximately 50-100 students and their parents. Representatives from different engineering disciplines volunteer to be on hand to answer questions about their discipline, university choice, and career. Consider volunteering to present to the audience or participate in the post-presentation Q&A.
Other Volunteer Opportunities
WISE Sudbury members also volunteer at other locally run events that encourage young women to consider careers in science, engineering, trades and technology (SETT) such as:
- Women of the Future
- Girl Guide Engineering Badge
- Science Fair judging
- Mining Week Participation
- Engineering Week Participation